Monday, October 31, 2005

So goodbye then Peru

That's it then....I'm back in the UK, touched down on Wednesday and have been adapting, reacquainting myself with "normal" life here.

But perhaps not quite it. Towards the end of my time in Peru, I started to think about those things that I've enjoyed and those I haven't and those things I missed from home and those I didn't. So here they are in no order of priority....

Top 5....things I missed the most

- The Archers. Yes it's true, and what's worse after two months I gave in and subscribed to a daily email to tell me what was going on! However, I cannot begin to describe the joy of coming home and hearing it live again!

- My garden in the summer. Not all the time, but every now and then I'd see some lovely plant and I'd think, I wonder what's in flower in my garden at the moment. And I missed messing about with plants

- My clothes and shoes. I know it's shallow but 5 months with 3 tops to choose from that are vaguely suitable for a city, and a choice between walking boots and trainers is a hard thing for a girl to cope with. Especially when you're going to nightclubs and watching petite Peruvian girls swan past in their weekend best.

- The sea. Every time I got to the sea (which was only twice) I did some extended deep breathing to try and fix the smell of salt air in my lungs until the next time. The mountains made up for it, almost!

- Films. I love going to the cinema and I've missed it.

Top 5....things I didn't miss

- Earl Grey tea. Odd this, because I'd have thought it would have been in the previous list but in fact not, although now I'm home I'm drinking buckets! Manzanilla (camomile) y Canela y Claro (cinnamon and clove) were good substitutes.

- TV. Not at all

- Hello, Ok, Heat etc and the whole focus on celebrity gossip

- The Royal Family

- The British summer


Top 5 things I found hard

- Spitting in the street, sorry it's just yucky

- Tripe and heart as regular items on the menu

- So much poverty and unemployment

- Being stared at a lot

- Having continual stomach problems for the last month! It really brings you down at times but would never stop me going back!

Top 5 things I loved in Peru

- Music, both the traditional and the latin. The depth and range of music across the country is incredible and everyone seems to know lots of different types and be really interested in it. The sound walking down the street is incredible with every shop blaring out latin music on the radio or CD player. Life here is quieter and feels a bit dull in comparison.

- Processions, see previous posts for paeons of praise to processions in Cusco, but every time I saw one I felt that I was getting a little insight to Peruvians and their culture and it was always fascinating.

- Colours, the colours of the clothes, vivid hues against the ochres of the dry landscape. The intense blues of the mountain skies. The range of greens in the rainforest. All of it fabulous.

- Making new friends, both Peruanos and Gringos, I have been so lucky in the people I have met and have added new friends all over the world. It was an unexpected bonus and just shows how many nice people there are out there if you just talk to them.

- The archaeology, it's a dream, there's so much of so much variety and I'm just getting the hang of the timeline!

- A cheat...a sixth, but I couldn't leave them out - Pisco Sours and Ceviche! To die for....

And this blog. Now I'm back should I stop or carry on? I don't know. I've enjoyed writing it, but I'm not sure that every day life in the UK will need quite the same level of writing up. Although perhaps I should write in Spanish for my Peruvian friends! I'll let you know and if you have strong opinions let me know.

No comments: