Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Peruvian Music

You're out there thinking pan pipes aren't you?

Well I guess it's the obvious first thought but not for me now. Peruvian music is a very odd mix indeed. You do hear local music of the pan pipe variety and it can be very good or really awful, not often average! I do now twitch if I hear the opening of El Condor Paso, Guantanamera or La Bamba, all particular favourites of tourist "entertaining" musicians. Another version of local music is something I don't know the name of but it sounds very similar (to me) to Chinese music, quite high, thin and a bit tortured at times! This can be popular on buses. From Cusco to Andahuaylas (9 hours) they played it non stop.

As you might expect the clubs and shops are fond of Latin American pop, "Gasolina" is currently playing throughout the continent. You hear some Salsa and Merengue as well but the unexpected favourite is 80's British pop! You'll be in a club they'll have just played "Te Amo" or something similar about love and the next track on will be "Come on Eileen". You think I'm kidding, I'm not and I have witnesses! On the bus from Ayacucho to Lima the musical soundtrack was early to mid 80's "classics" all remixed to the same drum machine beat. I think I might be scarred for life!

I wonder if it will be the same in Ecuador?

No comments: