Friday, July 08, 2005

Being at school

Okay two weeks in now, so I think I have a feel for how it's going and can describe a typical day! For most of the first week, my head felt like it was going to explode with all the new information that I was taking in and trying to understand. I was with one other person for the first week and a half and she had a bit of a headstart of me, so I felt like I was working hard to hang on to her and not slow her down!

At the end of week two, I just feel tongue tied! Mainly because I am now aware of the mistakes that I am making when I speak, so I'm constantly self editing as I speak and stopping as I search for the correct ending for the verb in the correct tense. I sort of know...pasado perfecto, imperfecto and simple, futuro popular and simple, present and sort of sort the conditional (plus all those little phrases, pronouns etc that make speech understandable. At the moment we're focusing on improving my vocabulary and speaking correctly and more rapidly! The last two days I've been in a group of one, good but hard work for four hours in the morning.

Homework takes anything from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on how dedicated I'm feeling. Language at home with my family is entirely in Spanish (apart from me explaining why have a bread brand called Bimbo is funny!) and there have been days when I haven't spoken English to anyone. I'm also getting there on my aim of having a conversation, though they're verys low at the moment.

And finally I'm sure you'll be interested to know that my reading age in Spanish is infant! Not quite Janet and John but easy fairy tales.....and I need the dictionary for that!

No comments: